Advocating For Children And Fathers In Modifications Of Custody And Child Support
Things change over time. Parents move or switch jobs. Kids grow up. Sometimes change happens suddenly, such as a job layoff or health crisis. Court orders can be modified to reflect a “significant change in circumstances.”
Story Law Firm, P.C., can pursue or fight against modifications of child custody, child support or spousal support. I have experience advocating for fathers in these court proceedings. As your attorney, I will fight for your parental rights and for fairness. I understand that serving the best interests of children typically means preserving their relationships with their fathers whever possible, and that is what I strive to do in each case I handle.
Modifying Child Custody And Parenting Time
Many fathers get the short end of the stick in the original custody decree, relegated to alternate weekends and one day per week despite their desire to be actively involved in their child’s life. As circumstances change, dads may have an opportunity to secure a greater parenting role and stronger bond with their kids. On the other hand, it is also possible to lose ground and become further disconnected. It is critical to have an experienced advocate in your corner.
I have represented dads in many custody modification scenarios:
- Petitions for sole custody to cut the father out of the picture
- Requests to relocate with the kids away from California
- Reversing primary custody to allow a child to live with the other parent
- Increasing or decreasing parenting time
- Modifying the parenting plan and schedules
I file motions and responses on your behalf. I help you present a compelling argument for gaining or maintaining time with your child.
Child Support Modification
Child support is often a point of contention in divorce degrees and modifications can be even more complex. If a father gets a new job or a raise, there will likely be an expectation of increased support payments. But when a dad falls on hard times, he is still expected to meet his court-ordered obligations.
I represent fathers in proceedings to modify financial support:
- Increase in child support to reflect higher income
- Decrease due to unemployment or other hardship
- Decrease due to a change in the mother’s income
- Modification of child support to reflect a change in custody
- Termination of support when the child reaches emancipation
- Termination of spousal support if the mother remarries or no longer needs aid
Let Me Tell Your Side Of The Story
Post-judgment modifications can be just as contentious (or more) than the original divorce. Put my focused experience in family law and fathers’ right to work for you. Set up a consultation for $ 50., call my Covina office at 800-698-3017 or contact me online.